Our Round the World Itinerary

Yellow = Where we are | Red = Plan to visit | Green = Already visited

Friday, December 26, 2008

A not so sporty and not so co-ordinated girl's view on the Milford Trek

First of all let me say I did it!!!! 4 days of hiking from sea level up to 1141 meters and then back down. The hike was challenging but I am very glad I did it. 3 out of the 4 days were not that bad. The only day that had me a little fed up (at my worst moments I was begging for it to end) was the 3rd day when we had to hike up and over the pass, down to our last nights hut. We started the day at lower altitude with light rain, that then turn to sleet, and snow as we got higher. By the time we got to the top I was freezing and a bit wet despite the best efforts of my waterproof gear. Thank God at the top they had a hut with water, toilet and some gas burners, so we could dry off make hot chocolate and soup to warm up before we had to climb carefully down to the sleeping hut. It was a wet climb down, but we made it with out any major slips or twisted ankles. I know that is amazing given my complete lack of co-ordination, but I went slow and careful, and I only said that they were no major slips or falls. The views were amazing and the huts were very clean plus well appointed. They had almost everything you would need, running cold water, flushing toilets, proper bunk beds, heat, and gas stove cookers. No showers and no hot water, but it was a nature hike not a stay at the 4 seasons.
Digg this

1 comment:

tza said...

i'm proud of you grace!


happy new year to you and ryan!