Our Round the World Itinerary

Yellow = Where we are | Red = Plan to visit | Green = Already visited

Monday, August 18, 2008

The Vatican, Rome

So today we got our butts out of bed really early and got to the Vatican by 8am, after checking out St. Peters Basilica (truly awesome, definitely sends a message), then we walked towards the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel..., we were greeted with a 1km long line, 2 hours later and €28 poorer we were in. D and I disagree slightly on this point, but when we got to the Sistine Chapel, I was expecting to be blown away, in reality I was sadly disappointed. I found myself saying 'is that it?' So unless you are a art buff or die hard Catholic I would skip it, save the Euros and have an espresso.

Below is a 360 degree video of the Square infront of St. Peters, very cool:



Here is a video from inside St. Peters Basilica:



Time to eat some pizza!
Digg this

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to go with D here on the Sistine Chapel. It really is unbelievable that one man could come up with this idea and execute it to such an amazing degree. The detailing and the story behind each frame... it truly gives you an insight to the Bible and how God, Jesus, etc was perceived by the artist. Cool things such as the skin of one of the saints, Moses' hands and pretty much EVERYTHING on the Judgement Wall is spectacular. But it does help if you've done some reading - our audio guides gave us more insight too ... Loved the videos, Ry, Rome was one of our favorite cities! ---Mara

Unknown said...

I guess I was expecting more because I had read up on it and seen many photos. Maybe it is the lack of vivid color, the pictures show the images in vivid detail butvin reality the colors are very dull.